Training fees and packages
Open SAPERE-validated Level 1 P4C Foundation courses take place every half term. Course fees £300 per person (£280 for DECSY School Members) include:
- SAPERE Level 1 certification
- SAPERE Level 1 handbook and other training materials
- One year’s free subscription to the SAPERE web-site and monthly bulletin. This provides the same access to resources as SAPERE membership. These resources include access to the P4C Getting Started Guide in on-line or pdf formats.
- Monthly bulletins of pupil activities to support the development of P4C
- The opportunity to join a free P4C Practitioner Development Group which meets every half term 4.30pm – 6pm (DECSY membership required)
- Wednesday 13th June (4.30pm - 6.30pm), Thursday 14th and Thursday 28th June 2018 (9.30am - 4.30pm)
- Thursday 22nd November (4.30pm-6.30pm), Friday 23rd November and Friday 7th December 2018 (9.30am-4.30pm)
- Tuesday 12th March (4.30pm-6.30pm), Wednesday 13th and Wednesday 27th March 2019 (9.30am-4.30pm)
- Monday 10th June (4.30pm-6.30pm), Tuesday 11th and Tuesday 25th June 2019 (9.30am-4.30pm)
Comments from teachers on Level 1 courses:
‘Just wanted to let you know that, despite being a cynical Y6 teacher who 'never has time', I really found the whole experience very liberating and inspiring. Can't wait to do more enquiries with my Y6s and hopefully roll it out across school.’
Open SAPERE–validated Level 2 courses take place annually.
Next Level 2a courses:
Thursday 5th and Friday 6th July, 2018 (9am – 4.30pm) Cost: £300 (£280 for DECSY School Members)
Thursday 4th & Friday 5th July, 2019 (9am – 4.30pm) Cost: £300 (£280 for DECSY School Members)
Next Level 2b course:
Thursday 29th & Friday 30th November, 2018 (9am – 4.30pm) Cost: £300 (£280 for DECSY School Members)
The course leading to a SAPERE P4C facilitator certificate will:
➢ Examine the nature, purpose and methods of philosophical enquiry
➢ Show you how to choose and create materials to stimulate deeper philosophical thinking and dialogue
➢ Extend practices and tools for better philosophical thinking and facilitation
➢ Strengthen understanding of the theory and practice of critical, creative, caring and collaborative thinking
➢ Establishe criteria for planning and evaluating progress over a cycle of P4C enquiry, exercise and review
Whole school training (closed courses)
SAPERE validated Level 1 P4C Foundation Course (no members' discount)
0-22 participants (22 is SAPERE maximum for 1 trainer) 2 day course: £1,800 including two SAPERE handbooks (additional handbooks at £10 per copy), certificate, one year’s free subscription to the SAPERE web-site and monthly bulletin per person. The 2 days can be taken separately.
22 – 44 participants (from same school) – 2 SAPERE accredited trainers required for 2 day course: reduced fee £2,500 including two SAPERE handbooks (additional handbooks at £10 per copy), certificates, one year’s free subscription to the SAPERE web-site and monthly bulletin. (This is assuming the training takes place on the same day with all the staff and 2 trainers; otherwise treat as 0-22 x 2)
44-66 participants (from the same school) - 3 SAPERE accredited trainers required for 2 day course: reduced fee of £3,500 including two SAPERE handbooks (additional handbooks at £10 per copy), certificates, one year’s free subscription to the SAPERE web-site and monthly bulletin. (This is assuming the training takes place on the same day with all the staff and 3 trainers; otherwise treat as 0-22 x 3)
P4C introductory courses (10% members discount on half-day or twilight course)
These can be tailored to the school’s requirements and can, for example, have a focus on EYFS or particular subject areas at secondary level. (please see flyer for more information)
£600 per day (up to 30 participants) £400 per half day / twilight
£800 per day (30-60 participants) £600 per half day / twilight
£1200 per day (60-90 participants) £900 per half day / twilight
Schools that have received whole staff P4C Level 1 training are entitled subsequently to:
- Reduced cost places subject to availability on the open Level 1 courses for members of staff who missed the training or are new to the school.
- These schools are also entitled to a reduced place for a member of staff on the SAPERE validated Level 2A and 2B course which takes place each year at DECSY.
- As with the open courses, participants in Closed Level 1 courses are entitled to join the P4C Practitioner Development Group as long as the school is a member of DECSY.
Going for Gold Whole School P4C Development
Please get in touch with DECSY if you would like to fully embed P4C practice into your school by being supported in achieving the SAPERE Bronze, Silver and Gold awards. We can take your school through to Gold award in three years by supporting you with training, demonstrations, mentoring and planning. We can tailor this support to what every stage you are currently at.
Evaluations from schools that have commissioned whole school training:
All schools on a follow-up 6 month evaluation stated that the course had been excellent.
Comments from evaluations include:
‘(P4C) has led to a massive impact on children’s confidence, depth of thought, ability to think aloud, gives them the language structures to hold their own when dealing with issues (the ‘gap’ between them and less disadvantaged children has disappeared), also impact on conflict resolution…P4C enables us to challenge and change perceptions and the resources available through DECSY are invaluable and refreshing’ Linda Kingdom, head teacher, Watercliffe Meadow Primary, Sheffield (permission gained to quote with name)
‘Really well delivered!’ St Catherine's RC Primary, Sheffield
‘Quality of training heavily dependent on Helen Griffin who is an excellent trainer’ Gleadless Primary, Sheffield
'Huge range of resources available – met our needs well’ Mexborough Secondary, Doncaster